SAFETY IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, PLEASE TAKE CARE.
In case of a medical emergency whilst out on the George trails, you can contact:
that will direct your call to the Eden District Disaster Management Center which will connect you to emergency services, police, fire department, etc.
- Before heading out on the trails/routes, be sure that you have saved emergency numbers on your phone.
- Keep your eye on local role-player’s and media websites, social media and WhatsApp groups to stay up to date with possible dangers such as fires, harvesting and criminal activity.
- Plan your trip properly and ensure that you know when sunset is and how long you estimate you will be out there.
- Travel in a group, there is strength in numbers.
- Ensure that someone knows your plans and expected time of return.
- Ensure you check the weather forecast. Weather around George can change quickly.
- Always wear a helmet when cycling.
- Always stay on the marked routes to avoid getting lost. If you are using a non-marked route, navigate by downloading the GPX file on your GPS device from this website but note that this can also be hampered by poor signal or a lack of battery power.
- Ensure you have the correct clothing and gear for changing weather conditions.
- Ensure that you have enough fluid and food for your activity and in case of emergency.
- Ensure you have a charged cell phone with you at all times.
- Ensure that you have the correct equipment before embarking on an activity.
- Be alert to snakes and wild animals.
- Know your fitness level and limitations.
- Respect and protect your natural environment.
Keep Our Forest Safe (KOFS)
Keep Our Forest Safe (KOFS) is a community effort to address security and in future, any other concerns that may arise, in our forested areas.
For any security related problems in the Witfontein Plantation, please call Greystorm Tactical.
044 072 0045
For any medical assistance in the Witfontein Plantation, please call Eden 911
06 08 911 911
|ADDITIONAL EMERGENCY NUMBERS|
|Cape Nature||044 870 8323 (office)|
|082 772 8085*|
|082 782 7878|
|Metro||044 874 2038|
|SAP||044 803 4400|
|E.R.||084 600 7092*|
|Eden Disaster Management||10177|
|044 878 1000|
|044 272 2221|
|Ruitersbos Lookout||044 631 0019*|
|Lookout Office||044 870 7888*|