SAFETY IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, PLEASE TAKE CARE
- Before heading out on the trails/routes, be sure to save the following emergency numbers on your phone:
Eden Disaster Management Centre: 10177 or 044 805 5071
NSRI (Wilderness): 044 604 6271 (for activities along the coast)
- Visit the George Trails website and Facebook every time before you head out to make sure there has been no fire, harvesting or other alerts issued by Land Owners/Managers.
- Plan your trip properly and ensure that you know when sunset is and how long you estimate you will be out there.
- Travel in a group, there is strength in numbers
- Ensure that someone knows your plans and expected time of return
- Ensure you check the weather forecast. Weather around George can change quickly
- Always wear a helmet when cycling
- Always stay on the marked routes to avoid getting lost. If you are using a non-marked route navigate by downloading the GPX file on your GPS device from this website but note that this can also be hampered by pour signal or a lack of battery power.
- Ensure you have the correct clothing and gear for changing weather conditions
- Ensure that you have enough fluid and food for your activity and in case of emergency
- Ensure you have a charged cell phone with you at all times
- Ensure that you have the correct equipment before embarking on an activity
- Be alert to snakes and wild animals
- Know your fitness level and limitations
- Respect and protect your natural environment
In case of a medical emergency whilst out on the George trails, you can contact:
that will direct your call to the Eden District Disaster Management Center which will connect you to emergency services, police, fire department,etc.
George Provincial Hospital: 044 874 5122
MediClinic Private Hospital: 044 803 2000