SAFETY IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, PLEASE TAKE CARE
The following pertains to cycling, running and hiking (hereafter named ‘activity’):
- Before heading out on the trails/routes, be sure to save the following emergency numbers on your phone:
Eden Disaster Management Centre: 10177 or 044 805 5071
NSRI (Wilderness): 044 604 6271 (for activities along the coast)
- In case of emergency around the Saasveld Trails System, make your way to the nearest trail signpost if your are in marked trail system such as Saasveld. Phone 10177 and quote the unique code on the small info board on the signpost. Eden Disaster Management will be able to identify your position and take the necessary action informing emergency services. (Please note that medical transport and expenditure is for your own account)
- Visit the George Trails website and Facebook every time before you head out to make sure there has been no fire, harvesting or other alerts issued.
- Plan your trip properly and ensure that you know when sunset is and how long you estimate you will be out there.
- Travel in a group, there is strength in numbers
- Ensure that someone knows your plans and expected time of return
- Ensure you check the weather forecast. Weather around George can change quickly
- Always wear a helmet when cycling
- Always stay on the marked routes to avoid getting lost. If you are using a non-marked route navigate by downloading the GPX file on your GPS device from this website.
- Ensure you have the correct clothing and gear for changing weather conditions
- Ensure that you have enough fluid and food for your activity and in case of emergency
- Ensure you have a charged cell phone with you at all times
- Ensure that you have the correct equipment before embarking on an activity
- Be alert to snakes and wild animals
- Know your fitness level and limitations
- Respect and protect your natural environment